3.31.2008

J. Otto Seibold


J. Otto Seibold is an illustrator and author.

What is inspiring you right now?

Poverty, I think it is where honest living is. It’s the only real politics, so when every dollar matters, you pay attention to who gets it. That sounds harsh, but I’m trying to say as that outside of money and acting to get it I am having a very nice life right now.



What is your work space like?

An old school lunch table elevated on chunks of wood. It has a original stencil that reads “lunch table” and I drew the Mr. Lunch books at it.

It has a laptop and a Cintiq draw screen and a vase with curly branches that have fake flowers on the tips. I steal fake flowers … pick them … and I will take them from wherever they are found. But I only take one and make the absence invisible.



How do you come up with new ideas?

They just show up. It’s like a conversation. I used to think i was good at reacting. Someone would say something and it would trigger an interesting or funny connection. So writing alone is tough … you have to have someone, thing, to bounce off of. I often write with another person for that reason.



What do you do when you have illustrator’s block? Or do you even get illustrator’s block?

I don’t get it … I’m of the Miles Davis approach, one take. Sometimes I can’t draw … it just happens and I just wait till later. I also distract myself playing music or laying on the floor.


What are you working on right now?

I just finished a book called Vunce Upon a Time about a vegetarian vampire. And now I’m working on a sequel to the B.B. Wolf book I did with Judy Sierra.
Any advice to the many people who are inspired by you?

Stop the war … everyone’s art will improve once that gets taken care of. Take money out of oil …ride your bike … burn recycled biodiesel … uhm, I sound like an angry hippy. Be nice to everyone…


J. Otto Seibold’s Website

Flickr

19 comments:

village mama said...

'ride your bike'...'be nice to everyone', he's a poet too!

Another wonderful conversation Lori. Thanks for making the sun shine, even on this rainy day.

Anonymous said...

Great interview!

owen,tania,caleb,thaddeus, gideon,hannah said...

love this! Love the tree...we were just talking about making a tree in our room but i was thinking of hanging photos from it but i love the flower idea too...ooooohhh ideas! ideas! Thanks for the awesome inspo as always!

Anonymous said...

Oh this was sooo good.

Unknown said...

i loved this. his thoughts on poverty + politics really resonated with me.
*
the fake flowers are sweet.

mormar said...

Olive the Other Reindeer is my FAVORITE!

karin said...

Ah, a collector! Best inspiration of all :))

Anonymous said...

awesome interview! i'm enjoying your blog immensely!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the branches with the fake flowers are an amazing work of art, a creepy and wonderful commentary on what is "nature." Thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

waow!! so much inspirations here!, I will come again with more time

Anonymous said...

wow, i love these interviews and the accompanying imagery. thank you. looking forward to the Westminster folks coming up, of course.

Meaghan said...

Great interview. Great images. Olive the Other Reindeer is inspired indeed. Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

thank you for the wonderful introduction. his illustrations are nostalgically unique--wonderful colors and beautifully rendered fonts. and what an incredible workspace! i loved finding out that his character's inspiration came from the words emblazoned on his antique desk.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I love your honesty.
Nita

Anonymous said...

Ace!

AshleyL. said...

i love that first picture! all those things...cluttered but incredibly inspiring! :)

marcy wacker said...

what a treat. j otto is one of my heroes. his art makes me so happy. thanks for sharing all of these great artists and their inspirations.

Daisy said...

Fantastic, a lovely read!

daisy :)

eileen said...

great space.