10.31.2007

Camilla Engman



Camilla Engman is an incredibly talented artist, illustrator, and graphic designer. She lives in Gothenburg, Sweden, with her friend Morran, possibly the most popular dog in the blog universe. Her work is sold at many different shops including her own.

Can you tell us about some of the things on your inspiration wall?


Maria's big and wonderful spoon photo is hanging on my "wire" waiting to be framed. Some recipes (bills) from my trip to Istanbul --- you don't get handwritten bills very often so this makes me happy. I like the layers that the bag and leaf creates. The leaf is also there because of its graphic shape. Then there is a print from Camilla in Italy and another on from Jules in Australia.

Sometimes the same things hang there for a long time, sometimes I change often. I hang things there for different reasons. Sometimes it is because of pity. I've made something that I know just will end up in one of my drawers. So to give it some kind of acknowledgment, I hang it on my wall for a while. I hang things there that I want to remember, small fragments that inspire me. Things I've done and want to use in a bigger work. Things I don't know where else to put or simply just things I like.

Who or what is inspiring you right now?

Right now, everything that has something to do with paper.

What do you do to "refill the well"?

Listen, really listen, to some good music. Looking through a new book or magazine. Or just take it easy so I'm able to take in more.


How do you come up with your next idea?

Take a long walk, think about the subject. Surf around the web plus all of the things above.

You are a professional illustrator/artist. Where does your training come from?

Two years at Art School and later five years at the School of Design and Craft, Gothenburg University.

What do you do to keep yourself motivated and avoid burn-out?

I try to only do things that I like, things that I want to do.

How do you manage that? Do you have any advice for those who feel they don't have enough time to pursue the things they really want to do?

No, I don't have any advice. Well, maybe one ... don't get used to too much money. If I do an illustration job, I do it for myself in the first place. Of course, the client has to like it. But for me, where I am now, it's more important that I like it.

What's your perfect creativity-inspiring day?

Every day that makes me feel happy and strong.


What craft blogs, websites, and/or books do you enjoy?

So many. It's incredible how many talented people there are out there! One blog that has followed me from the beginning is Keri Smith's. I subscribe to Selvedge magazine; every new issue is a great inspiration source.

What other talents do you possess that we might not know about?

None, this is my only talent :)

Do you remember something that really inspired you back in the beginning?

Maira Kalman inspired me to become an illustrator. Back in my blog beginning I was very much inspired by Rosa Pomar's dolls and website.

What is your favorite color? Has it always been the same?

I love colours. I don't have any favorite but I have some that I really don't like --- a bright blue from the 80's and some purple shades.

What is your favorite thing in your studio and/or house?

The light.

Is what you are doing now your dream job?

This is definitely my dream job! I can't think of anything better.

•••

Camilla's Blog

Camilla's Website

Camilla's Flickr

Camilla's Shop

12 comments:

Lori said...

camilla, thank you SO much for your interview. i love your work, and your studio, and your Morran, and your blog...

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I just love seeing inspiration boards.

Also, I find Camilla's blog pretty darn inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Oh,didn't know this blog of yours, so you have two good ones for me to read :) Camilla's is one of my favs too.

Kristy said...

I am really loving this blog!

Lori said...

me, too, jodi.

karin! yes, i like to stay busy with things to distract me from doing my real work. ;^)

thank you, kristy!

comfies said...

i love how camilla says she hangs things out of pity for them. there's something incredibly cute about that! also, the sage advice of trying to only do things that you really like/want to do...

i'm keeping that in mind for today.

jenni said...

A great interview! I'm new to Camilla's art, but I'm quickly becoming a big fan.

I'm so happy to find your blog. :)

Lori said...

thank you, jenni! :^)

jenifer lake said...

camilla is such a great inspiration. great questions lori! :)

Lori said...

thank you!

Anonymous said...

Excellent interview!

Unknown said...

great questions. camilla is one of my inspirations :)